9.01.2009

Do not ever take IV Reglan

I have had a lingering migraine for the last three days and when I woke up this morning it had progressed to being the worst pain I have ever felt in my life. So, my lovely boyfriend hunted down an urgent care and drove me there. Of course, upon arrival I was informed that my insurance isn’t accepted until after 4pm so I needed to go to St. Joe’s ER. I did. I almost immediately got in a room and after just a little bit the PA came in to examine me. He was not very good with his bedside manner and essentially made me feel like I was to blame for my horrible migraine. He then said that the medicine Reglan is very effective for the treatment of severe migraines but that it can cause you to feel like you are going to “crawl out of your skin” so to ward off this side effect he was also going to give me Benadryl. Using Reglan for migraines is news to me but I agreed and the nurse came in, started my IV and administered the Reglan then the Benadryl.

Less than two minutes later an employee came in to gather my insurance information. During this I started to feel like my extremities were extremely heavy and like I was going in and out of consciousness and I started feeling confused (I couldn't even verbalize where my health insurance card was in my wallet.) After about a minute I started to feel like I was having difficulty breathing and that’s when the full blown anxiety attack hit me. I was screaming and crying and making the biggest scene but it was all out of my control. In my head I knew I could breath and I kept telling myself that it was going to pass but all I could say was “I can’t breath,” “I shouldn’t have done this,” “I need to pee,” “someone please make this stop” and “this is not right.” The only person who even tried to calm me down was my amazing boyfriend. Everyone else just stared. Luckily this horrible feeling ceased after about 5 minutes when the Benadryl kicked in. Then all I heard was the PA mocking me saying “ohhh someone stop this, I need help” and explaining to the nurse that he should have given the Benadryl and THEN the Reglan so that the Benadryl would have kicked in first. I also heard them talking about how I shouldn’t have been warned about the side effects because I then brought them on myself. Way to make me feel like my concerns and experience were miniscule. Everything was so real to me, I really felt like I had difficulty breathing. I really was scared to fall asleep because I was afraid I would stop breathing. It was all real to me. It was all because I was given IV Reglan. It doesn’t help that I weigh less than 100 pounds and was given an adult dose when I probably would have benefitted from a pediatric based dose. Yes, my migraine is gone so at least that is nice but now I’m left with a fear of ever taking IV medication again. I slept for 6 hours and still don’t feel quite right. And no Mr. PA, I did not bring on the anxiety attack myself because you warned me about it. I did not make it up in my head. 1 in 1000 people have this reaction. It is very real. I will never take Reglan again.

Another important piece of information is that even one dose of Reglan (IV or by mouth) can cause irreversible, life-time side effects called tardive dyskinesia. One dose. Look it up. Be informed. Make sure that the benefits out-weigh the risks before letting yourself or a loved-one receive this medication

P.S. My migraine was resolved thanks to the medication. If I went back, I never would have said yes to this treatment.

17 comments:

  1. The same exact thing happened to me in the ER. The only difference is I still keep having weird muscle spasms that I never had before this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds pretty awful.
    Have u seen a neurologist?
    In reference to tarditive dyskinesia associated w reglan administration, here is some of the latest info.

    Although once considered a persistent or permanent condition, TD is often reversible [9]. In initial studies, remission rates of persistent TD were only 5 to 40 percent, but early identification of TD in younger outpatient populations is associated with remission in 50 to 90 percent of patients. Remission of TD usually occurs within several months after antipsychotic drug withdrawal, but may occur as late as one to three years [

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow.every since may 3rd I still have anxiety and shear fear when I relive a similar experience. Mine lasted almost an hour, I couldn't move, my body was heavy and burning and I begged them repeatedly to bring me out of it.terrified of any meds every since.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am relieved to see that other people had the same exact thing happen to them in the ER with IV Reglan/Benadryl. I kind of thought I was the only one...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apparently, your ER is terrible. I am so sorry you had to experience this. In my ER they give you a three shot combo with benadryl, tramadol, and a steroid to calm down inflammation and then they slowly release the Reglan with fluids over time. This treatment has saved me more than once without any pain, anxiety, or suffering. I just fall asleep and wake up without a migraine. It is wonderful (except for having to be in the ER).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the same thing happen to me..its been a week and im still having twitching and anxitey,the nurse never said what was going to happen and them my heart went up to 150..i turned blue and lost color! I hate this feeling,i would never take this again!!! Its been over a week and i still dont feel the same

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, I freaked out too. I kept it in my head though. Just happened not an hour ago, I didn't enjoy it very much, I also didnt get benedryll

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just got I'VE reglan last night. No migraine but had the tachycardia and nausea. Felt terrible all day and kept falling asleep. Now I'm anxiety ridden and nauseous again about 18 hours later. Do not take this drug. I had no need of it and it made me miserable

    ReplyDelete
  9. My 16 yr old gets debilitating migraines. Usually midrine works but every so often I must take her to ER for IV of Benadryl, Reglan and they now add Toradol with it and it works great for her. It DOES however knock you out, but at the same time can cause the rush you explained if administered too quickly into the IV. We just ask them to administer it slowly to prevent the rush that makes you feel like you can't breath your hot and flushed and think your going to die. I wish you all best of luck, but remember these meds work if they take their time administering. Hope this helps for your future visits.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry you suffered this and were then mocked. Talk about adding insult to injury! I do appreciate you sharing your experience and I'm glad I stumbled upon it. As a new nurse, I will be mindful of what you went through so as to spare my patients such treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was in the ER last night and the nurse gave me benadryl then reglan through an IV. I felt like I was losing my mind and I wanted to rip my IV right out of my arm! She told me to calm down then she ran down the hall to get the Dr and he came in. I told him to please get the IV out now and he said he was going to just add more benadryl to my IV. It took a few minutes, but then I calmed down and fell asleep. I'm beyond exhausted today and I don't really remember anything after the 2nd dose of benadryl. That reglan shouldn't even be used. It's a terrible drug! I hope I start feeling normal again. It's good to know that I'm not the only one who has suffered from this. I'm too scared to go to the Dr again for anything!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I went had an IV of reglan and a shot of benadryl 2 weeks ago with no issue. The arm the IV was in felt heavy that's all and I have a history of anxiety. They're supposed to hive u the benadryll whit then the reglan slowly. All drugs have ill effects but reglan saved mg life if it hadn't made my migraine go away I probably would have killed myself BC my beck as damn near paralyzed and the pain was making me black out. I am far from suicidal but I can honestly say reglan saved my life

    ReplyDelete
  13. Reglan is an antiemetic, the benadryl is to calm the vascular system dilatation. I also had this treatment in a.m. hours of today in the ER and yes I had never heard of this treatment. I had vomited to the point of heaves with only bile left to vomit, and the pain was exploding in my brain. I ask questions of the nurse as she began my treatment as to which drugs I had been prescribed because it is my choice to have them administered as I know what my body can tolerate, the benadryl was 1st in my IV and i felt like i was gonna crawl off the bed and I have this same sensation with OTC antihistamines therefore I do not take any~ever. It passed the Reglan was added and then Toradol (nsaid). I got the relief I needed, the treatment worked and I went to sleep at last. This migraine was another of the top 5 i have ever had in my history of 14 years, I have prescription for sudden onset migraine, narcotics and emetics. The er doctor has included benadryl as part of my plan along with more Phenegran... May we all continue to survive these horrible instances that interrupt our life. God speed and well wishes, be open minded and just breathe.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Reglan is the worst drug ever. I went to the ER yesterday with a severe migraine. They gave me reglan through IV first then Benadryl. Almost immediately i began to panic, called my mom and told her to come get me and that I was terrified to be alone. It made feel as if i were losing my mind. Please say no to reglan!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I actually left the ER before being officially dismissed because (at least partially) of the anxiety and claustrophobia I had after being administered 2 doses of Reglan (the second with Benadryl). It's the next day and I still have the headache, but I could not stay in that ER under those conditions. I'd rather suffer at home till the headache passes than go through with that again. Granted the ER was super busy with people in much worse shape than me, but the need to flee was very much a result of the medications.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had the very same experience. I get daily hormonal headaches. On occasion I get one that I cannot shake. When I started freaking out after being given that combo the ER doctor immediately brought me dilaudid and I calmed down. A few months went by and I again had a horrible migraine. New to Kaiser I told them my history with reglan, toradol, and benedryl. The doctor did not listen to my concerns. He convinced me to try it again as it was there "protocol."
    Immediately I started crawling in my skin. Freaking out. They ignored me. Eventually have me a shot of imitrex which I've heard wonderful things about but know it doesn't work for me. Then they put me on a 2hr magnesium drip. Finally I lied and said my headache was gone. I wanted out of that hell. Two days later my head is still splitting. It's too bad people who abuse drugs ruin it for people who are in legitimate pain.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is exactly what happened to me last night too! Went to the ER with the worst headache ever - same story as above. Got the Benadryl first, then the Reglan - I was just about climbing the walls in a couple of minutes. I have anxiety issues to begin with (which they knew about) - this was the worst attack times 10. Thank God my husband was there to help me an tell the to give me something to stop it . More Benadryl and a dose of Ativan and it stopped. I don't remember much else about the rest of the evening. So scary.

    ReplyDelete