8.21.2010

ChristWire.org Christian Insanity or Christian Satire?

So I was reading this article on Huffington Post two nights ago. It is a totally ridiculous list of signs that your husband might be gay taken from a website ChristWire. Huffpost was obviously pointing out how insane this list is, and trust me, it is!

Of course, I was totally intrigued and had to check out this website some more. In it, I read an article on how corrupt the show Glee is. Also, there's a direct quote and a study called "The Golden Girls: How One TV Show Turned a Generation of American Boys Into Homosexuals"

Mainly, the website is appearing to be a complete right wing, conservative Christian, fear breeding, homosexual hating, war on terror supporting, misinformed website. I read through some of these articles in complete disbelief for about an hour. Finally, the thought occurred to me that this website HAS to be a satire like The Onion. There is no way that these thoughts and conspiracy theories can be truly supported!

I kept reading. People can write comments on the articles, people can "like" the articles via facebook. As I perused through the comments it became very clear that this website has to be satirical. Then I looked through some of the articles, even just the titles and there's no way this can be serious! I got over my intitial sadness over these misinformed messages and laughed at myself for falling for it.

As I've thought about it over the last few days I became kind of upset! There are people commenting on these articles who truly support the thoughts and 'facts' that are written about. People that "hate bean dippers" (Mexicans) and that believe "Homosexual contact is common in the “wet” areas of health clubs and spas." Basically, even though this whole site is supposed to be a joke, it is in a backwards way reinforcing the beliefs of the people who it's meant to poke fun at. Some of these folks feel validated, supported and probably even pass on these articles to other people who would support these ridiculous thoughts.

Is it not upsetting that these 'jokes' are based on true conservative fears? I know EXTREMELY nice couples that won't ever enroll their children in public schools because (and I quote) "starting in kindergarten public schools teach students that homosexuality is okay." UM. What? I asked if maybe they have been misinformed. Maybe schools teach to LOVE and ACCEPT EVERYONE. You know, a concept that Jesus preached? I left the conversation with this couple and cried. My heart hurts with the thought of people fearing acceptance and equality and breeding this fear in their children. This is just an example of someone I personally know that would look at some of the articles on christwire.org and SUPPORT it. Completely not realizing it is meant to be a satire. My heart breaks, there is no other way I can describe it.

1 comment:

  1. dude get out of my brain! this is the same exact thing ive been talking about in my head. same couple/friend story and everything. SO sad.

    ReplyDelete