12.01.2010

The best way to find yourself...

"The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." 
-Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

It's been about a week since I found out that I will be going to India. I am really taken aback by the mixed reactions I have gotten from people regarding my trip. The overwhelming majority are so excited. I have even gotten a few other nurses to apply with OS. Many close family and friends understand my passion for children and helping those in need. Anyone who knows me well knows that I have planned and dreamed of this day, I have always known that I was made for going wherever I was called in order to help. I guess that is why I am so surprised that I have received several negative reactions and this is only one week in! 

I have had a few people tell me that they would never travel to India. Never. Not as vacation, not as a mission. This breaks my heart especially because this even came from a fellow nurse. I honestly had to hold back tears. I know I am not traveling into an ideal situation, this is no vacation! That's the point though, to go into places that would never receive help. To perform life changing surgeries that we take for granted in America.

A couple of people feel bad for me that I am using my paid time off to go on the trip. I have actually heard the words "Well that sucks." I say to them, this is an opportunity to work in another place. By using vacation time I continue to get paid while I am gone. How lucky does that make me? I feel incredibly blessed and I will have lots of time left over for personal trips whenever. 

I want to be clear that I am not writing this with a 'holier than thou' opinion but with honest surprise. I love every single person that I have talked about my trip with. They are all supportive, just some with different feelings regarding traveling to other countries. That is totally fine by me, that's why we all have different gifts to be used in different ways! 

I leave you with a couple of pictures from a trip that is happening right now in the very city I will be going to! 







1 comment:

  1. WoW! I'm really excited for you. India seems like such a fascinating culture and it's awesome to hear that you're able to go during PTO.

    Can't wait to check out your new blog and follow your adventure.

    A Foreign Land

    ReplyDelete