12.20.2010

Welcome to Whoville


Less than 5 days until Christmas. As much as I love the day of Christmas, really it's the weeks leading up to it that mean the most to me. Right now Ryan's nephew, Kaleb, is having a sleep over at our place. We played board games, got soaking wet in the rain, made muddy buddies, watched Elf, shook a few presents under the tree and watched How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Tomorrow my niece and nephews will be coming over with my mom and we will be making gingerbread men, gingerbread houses and sugar cookies! Tomorrow night my little sister is staying over mainly so that I can ambush her at midnight as the 22nd is her 17th birthday! 

The following 2 days (including Christmas eve) I will be at work. I'm struggling lately with becoming too emotionally attached to what I do. All of today I have been aching to spend time with a very special lil person and I just can't wait to spend Christmas eve with them. I hate having to remain so very vague, but health privacy, you know? Let's just say I have been caring for the same kiddo for more than four weeks and I genuinely miss the little munchkin on the days I don't work. I can safely say that this year I have been involved in a Christmas miracle :) 

After that it is Christmas! I am not sure what I will actually be doing that day besides waking up and doing presents and stockings with Ryan. I believe he wants to go to the beach and surf, fine by me so long as this constant rain clears up! The next day will be my day with all of my family. I love this time of year!!

Does anyone else have trouble leaving work at work? I am usually very good at leaving it at the door but the last few months I have been struggling (including having horrible dreams)! Any tips on how remedy this?!


7 comments:

  1. Just found your blog via sometimessweet. I'm not a nurse but my mom's been a pediatric nurse for the past 40 years. She's done PICU, case work, surgery, all of it; But the past few years been in kidney/liver/gut transplants.
    I'm not sure this is the advice you're looking for, but on Christmas we'll go to my "aunt" B's house. She's really the mother of a patient my mom had over 30 years ago. The majority of my extended family are family of patients. My mom certainly doesn't leave her work at work, but that's what makes her so great and so beloved. After all, as she always says, "Doctors may cure diseases, but nurses save lives."

    So I guess what I'm saying is, it's hard, maybe too hard? to force yourself to separate work and home selves when you have such an emotional job.And I dunno, I'm sure some do it better than others, my mom's just one person. But just make sure youre surrounded by people at home who will listen to your hospital mumbojumbo (i say this with love and a lifetime of experience) and always be there to support you.

    I applaud you, and all nurses. You do amazing work. And unfortunately never seem to get the recognition you deserve. So just keep telling yourself how great you are. Because you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,

    I know how you feel. I get really attached to my patients and find it really hard to leave the 'nurse' in the hospital. I had a hard time a few weeks ago when the cutest old lady died after 8 weeks of my care. She was such a kind soul. I went home after my shift and had a good old cry and still have dreams I am talking to her.

    I think sadly it is one of those jobs. But you have to remember that you are human and even though it can be painful, it shows you care, and are a bloody good nurse and it is why you got chosen for your trip away.

    The only remedy is to assess if anything else in your life is making you more vulnerable to stress. Are you taking care of your self? Nurses are one of the worst at putting others before themselves.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello I am a new reader to your blog and I can totally relate to the leaving work at work and the dreams!

    I am studying a degree in midwifery in the UK and have found the final year to be the toughest. I do get really attached to the women I am caring for and I always seem to come home and critique/reflect on the care I have provided. I think it is part of the 'work' however it depends on the person... I think some of us are more sensitive than others and I think that is a good thing :)

    Merry Christmas and I really love your blog posts x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. are u a nurse girlie??? im a cna at a hospital but wanna be a pediatric nurse eventually! cool

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's impossible for me to leave work at work. I've found that the only thing that helps is a patient husband and a glass of wine. I usually spend my first half hour home VENTING, which is ridiculous. If you find any nice distractions please share!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you guys for all of the kind words <3 Luckily my boyfriend is very good at listening, without understanding half of the things I talk about haha! I think you all are right, it is a job that requires emotion and I just have to remember that it is okay to feel it sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a little late on commenting here, but I find that I have dreams about work sometimes too (even though I just work at Trader Joe's so it's in no way close to the stress/emotion/situations that you deal with). I find that when I am thinking about it too much or have been working a lot the past few days (I'm only part time so I don't work a set schedule or amount of days a week) is when I dream about work or the people I work with. It is weird and I don't know about dream psychology or anything, but it could just be that it is on your (unconscious) mind and dreaming about it is the way to bring it to the forefront of your mind.

    I also find that sometimes I'll dream about things that I know I'll be doing the next day. Even if it is mundane everyday things like going to class or making it to work on time.

    I hope you figure some things out and your mind gets a break. Constantly dreaming sometimes feels like you didn't sleep at all--especially if they are nightmares. Try and relax your mind during the day and night!

    Allison

    ReplyDelete