12.02.2010

Where dreams align with reality

Have you ever been so passionate about a goal that thinking of it, reading about it, seeing pictures of it brings you to tears? This is what being involved in Operation Smile does to me. It gives me that deep in the pit of my stomach feeling that this is what I was meant to do. It makes my chest heavy in the best way possible.

Operation Smile is a non-profit organization that travels the world repairing cleft lips, cleft palettes and other facial deformities for children (and sometimes adults.) You can visit their website here. All of the surgeries are free. Some families travel for days just to be screened. In Assam (the state I am going to) alone there are 30,000 children that suffer from clefts. The need is great all over the world. Yup, here come the tears. I am such a sap! It has been a long time goal of mine to become involved in an organization such as this one and I can't believe it is all becoming real.

I sent my visa packet today, I already sent all my travel documents and right now I am just trying my best to prepare any way possible. I have a feeling that no matter how much I prepare, as it goes in nursing, everything I'll need to know I will learn when I get there.

I will leave my first entry with this:


This is a fortune I got four days prior to finding out I was selected to go to India. It says "Soon you will be sitting on top of the world"

Guwahati is in the state of Assam in the Northeastern part of India. It is nestled in the Himalayas, just east of Nepal.  On top of the world? I think I already am. 

1 comment:

  1. This is so awesome Kristin, and I know you give joy to the Lord with your selfless giving! I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete