4.27.2011

God answers prayers. Sometimes the answer is blatantly obvious, other times it's hard to discern. Sometimes the answer is not what we had planned and we are disappointed and confused. Sometimes it is more than we could have ever hoped for.


13 days ago we were told that my Aunt had pancreatic cancer, a non-existent survival rate and a death sentence of about 6 months. I was going to move to India and potentially never see her again as she would likely pass away before I made it back home. I was going to move far far away to care for patients there and leave her here in a time of need. The guilt was massive and the hurt just kept piling on. We prayed hard. People were praying across the country for her by name. 


9 days ago prayers started to be answered. Upon further testing she was told that the mass looked like it was actually in her kidney. It didn't look like any other organs or lymph nodes in the region were affected. We kept praying. We had no way of knowing if it was malignant or benign. 


 7 days ago in an exploratory surgery we found that the abdominal mass was completely contained within in her right kidney and the cure? A radical nephrectomy meaning the removal of her kidney and ureter (the tube that connects your kidney to your bladder.) She had a stent placed in her right ureter to drain her kidney, it was in complete failure and had irreversible damage. She was scheduled for her nephrectomy the following week. 


5 days ago I flew to Missouri because I realized the pieces fell together and I was meant to be here with her through this process. 


3 days ago she had her kidney removed along with her ureter. 


2 days ago we found out that this mass is called a cystic nephroma. A benign cystic lesion. Non-cancerous. Praise. I prayed even harder, this time a prayer of thankfulness and humility.  


Today she came home. In severe pain but fighting as hard as I have ever seen a woman fight. I could not be more proud of my aunt. Her strength and determination are awe inspiring. 


God answers prayers. 

3 comments:

  1. wow! how amazing! This seriously brought tears to my eyes. God is amazing!
    Thank you for sharing this. I have been struggling in with my relationship with God and this has really helped.
    I am sending healing thoughts to your aunt.
    Take care,
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazingly wonderful story!!
    So happy for your aunt & your family! God is good!
    :)

    ReplyDelete