8.24.2011

Alphabet soup

I just got back from a little vacation, or "holiday" as it would be referred to here. It was amazing and to see the pictures just visit my other blog! Stepping away from Guwahati, the center and my life here which completely revolves around this project was renewing. I loved seeing another part of India, I was rejuvenated and ready to come back to the center by the end of it. I missed my little home here and all of the patients. On Monday I started training in the operating room (aka the operating theatre or OT) and it is really exciting! It is a very different world from PACU, pre op and post op. Scrubbing in and assisting the surgeons has given me a different perspective on the surgeries we do, I feel as though learning the OT roles has put all the puzzle pieces together for me. Learning the instruments, what each surgeon calls them, what they prefer, what they expect from you is a challenge! It seems that a good scrub nurse becomes one with the surgeon to the point where the surgeon should rarely have to ask for anything, the nurse should know and have that instinct of what comes next. I am definitely not there at all, but I have only scrubbed for 4 cases. Hopefully by the end of 2 weeks I will be competent enough that I could be used as needed in there!!

Next week the medical staff and a handful of the local nurses take their first ever AHA PALS course. I have been doing skills labs with them and helping to prep them for what they will learn. Every nurse that is taking the class has the potential to pass and prove their knowledge. I just hope that all the work and labs we have done will help them in their confidence with the knowledge. After they take their provider course, myself and some other employees will become instructor certified then we will be able to continue to train and do provider classes! It is so exciting!

Varanasi

 Rishikesh v1.0
 Rishikesh v2.0

 LONG bus rides
 Manali

 First day in the OT!


So maybe in a few days I will let you all know exactly how long I will be staying in India. I am still figuring that all out, it is not an easy or clear cut decision. 

No comments:

Post a Comment