12.07.2011

Funk off! while you still can!!

This week has felt a bit long and it is only Wednesday, but I think that has to do with anticipating my visit to California! We are working hard around the surgical center and things have felt so smooth lately, it is amazing how this place has built itself from the ground up over the last year. One of my roommates left today as her year contract is finished. I can't believe it! Time is passing quickly and it feels like the clock is just ticking down... will I ever want to leave this job? Daily I get to look at adults and kids alike and say that this is their day. Everyday I am there is potentially the best day of that persons life, whereas working in the Pediatric ICU was the polar opposite of that on most occasions. I feel like I am living in a different world completely!

I was walking home both last night and tonight through the ever busy "fancy bazar" picking up gifts and such for my friends and family. Last night I heard "Sister!" yelled across the bustling street and glanced over to see three of the girls we feed in the slums. They ran up to Lousie and I to say hi and stare at us for awhile before we parted ways. It was so cute and then tonight I was walking through the market again by myself when another two girls (one of them with a baby on her hip) ran up to say hi also. One of the girls is Anjuna, my sweet but sassy friend who gave me the monster hug that melted my heart last Sunday. She walked me half way home, hand in hand and boy did we conjure up some stares. I am used to getting started at, so much so that I don't even notice anymore. That means for me to notice tonight, it must have been extra bad! I guess a foreigner walking hand in hand through the market with a street child isn't something you see everyday though it is becoming my everyday as well as theirs... I stopped and bought the three kids dinner before we parted ways, though I am sure they would have been happy to just walk the whole way with me. Again, it took everything within me to not take them straight home for a good bath and warm home made food. Ugh, my heart is so insistent on finding a way to do that! 

Weekly support is coming to these kids in ways that I never fathomed to be possible. A woman has offered to hand knit blankets, another to collect clothing and now Funk Off! who makes vegan bath and body products teamed up with Sometimes Sweet and is donating to Asha Guwahati! Funk Off contacted Danielle sometime ago to make a signature scent series with her and is now offering $1 (that's 4 or 5 meals!!) from each purchase of her signature series will go towards feeding the kids here! Danielle is also graciously hosting a give-away over on her blog click here to be taken to her blog for the details! Or just go here to order the "Sometimes Sweet Signature Series" soap, lotion or spray (or all 3!) 



3 comments:

  1. It blows my mind every time I think about these kids - that children all over the world are living lives like those, and here in the US children are almost uniformly spoiled. Thanks for sharing your experiences - and for doing what you can to help as many as you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This doesn't have anything to do with this post. However, every time you share photos of a before and after child or adult, I cannot fathom the difference. How is something so dramatic accomplished in a single procedure? I guess I don't know enough about the issue in the first place, but it's the first thought that comes to mind every single time you post it. Thank you for all the amazing work you do, with a smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristin, I wanted to link to your blog and mention the fabulous work that you are doing. I wondered if it would be ok to use one of your pics when I do so? I don't have many followers but I have been inspired by what you do and want to share it with anyone who may happen to drop by my blog. cheers
    Jo :)

    ReplyDelete